What is the definition of the word SET?
Here is a list of definitions for set.
- a group of things of the same kind that belong together and are so used; "a set of books"; "a set of golf clubs"; "a set of teeth"
- (mathematics) an abstract collection of numbers or symbols; "the set of prime numbers is infinite"
- several exercises intended to be done in series; "he did four sets of the incline bench press"
- representation consisting of the scenery and other properties used to identify the location of a dramatic production; "the sets were meticulously authentic"
- an unofficial association of people or groups; "the smart set goes there"; "they were an angry lot"
- a relatively permanent inclination to react in a particular way; "the set of his mind was obvious"
- the act of putting something in position; "he gave a final set to his hat"
- a unit of play in tennis or squash; "they played two sets of tennis after dinner"
- the process of becoming hard or solid by cooling or drying or crystallization; "the hardening of concrete"; "he tested the set of the glue"
- evil Egyptian god with the head of a beast that has high square ears and a long snout; brother and murderer of Osiris
- the descent of a heavenly body below the horizon; "before the set of sun"
- (psychology) being temporarily ready to respond in a particular way; "the subjects' set led them to solve problems the familiar way and to overlook the simpler solution"; "his instructions deliberately gave them the wrong set"
- any electronic equipment that receives or transmits radio or tv signals; "the early sets ran on storage batteries"
What are the verbs of the word SET?
Here is a list of definitions for set.
- put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
- fix conclusively or authoritatively; "set the rules"
- decide upon or fix definitely; "fix the variables"; "specify the parameters"
- establish as the highest level or best performance; "set a record"
- put into a certain state; cause to be in a certain state; "set the house afire"
- fix in a border; "The goldsmith set the diamond"
- make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc; "Get the children ready for school!"; "prepare for war"; "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"
- set to a certain position or cause to operate correctly; "set clocks or instruments"
- locate; "The film is set in Africa"
- disappear beyond the horizon; "the sun sets early these days"
- adapt for performance in a different way; "set this poem to music"
- put or set (seeds, seedlings, or plants) into the ground; "Let's plant flowers in the garden"
- apply or start; "set fire to a building"
- become gelatinous; "the liquid jelled after we added the enzyme"
- set in type; "My book will be typeset nicely"; "set these words in italics"
- put into a position that will restore a normal state; "set a broken bone"
- insert (a nail or screw below the surface, as into a countersink)
- give a fine, sharp edge to a knife or razor
- urge to attack someone; "The owner sicked his dogs on the intruders"; "the shaman sics sorcerers on the evil spirits"
- estimate; "We put the time of arrival at 8 P.M."
- equip with sails or masts; "rig a ship"
- get ready for a particular purpose or event; "set up an experiment"; "set the table"; "lay out the tools for the surgery"
- alter or regulate so as to achieve accuracy or conform to a standard; "Adjust the clock, please"; "correct the alignment of the front wheels"
- bear fruit; "the apple trees fructify"
- arrange attractively; "dress my hair for the wedding"
What are the synonyms of the word SET?
What is another word for SET?. Here is a list of synonyms for SET
- EXERCISE SET
- STAGE SET
- SET UP
- GEAR UP
- GO DOWN
- GO UNDER
- LAY OUT
Words beginning with SET?
We only list the first 50 results for words beginning with SET.
In which dictionaries does the word set exist?
English International (SOWPODS) - Yes
English USA (TWL 98) - Yes
English USA (TWL 06) - Yes
Collins Scrabble Words (CSW2012) - Yes
Collins Scrabble Words (CSW2007) - Yes
Words with Friends (WWF) - Yes
Enable1 (ENABLE1) - Yes
Letterpress (LETTERPRESS) - Yes